Russian, East European, and Eurasian Studies
Overview and Contact Information
The Five College Certificate in Russian, East European, and Eurasian Studies offers students the multidisciplinary resources in the Five Colleges on Russia, Eurasia (here understood as the former republics of the Soviet Union), and East (and Central) Europe.
Requirements for the Certificate
A minimum of six courses:
|A core course, normally taken in the first or second year. The core course will be offered every year on a rotating basis at one of the campuses. HISTORY 315 Imperial Russia, offered at UMass, is an example of a core course.||1|
|Five additional elective courses, distributed as follows:||5|
These electives must be drawn from more than one of the three geographical areas: Russia, Eurasia, and Eastern (and Central) Europe
At least one of the elective courses must focus on a period before the twentieth century
At least one course must be taken from each of the following disciplinary categories: history, social sciences, and humanities/arts 1
|Proficiency in a language of one of the certificate regions, at a level equivalent to four semesters of postsecondary course work 2||0-4|
no single course can fulfill more than one of these disciplinary categories
this proficiency may be demonstrated by course work or examination
- At least four of the six courses, including the core course, must be taken within the Five Colleges
- A language course beyond the intermediate level can be counted as one of the five electives. Elementary and intermediate language courses cannot be counted.
- The list of courses fulfilling particular certificate requirements will be maintained and regularly updated by the Five College Committee for Russian, East European, and Eurasian Studies.
- Credit for one-time courses, special topics courses, independent study, and transfer or study abroad courses requires approval from the student’s certificate program advisor at Mount Holyoke.
- Students are encouraged to study abroad in one of the certificate regions.
- Courses applied to this certificate may also be used to fulfill major requirements.