Other Degree and Certificate Programs

Other Undergraduate Degree Programs

Dual-Degree Programs

Mount Holyoke offers several dual-degree opportunities. For information about credit received at other institutions, see the Academic Regulations chapter.


Mount Holyoke participates in the following dual-degree engineering programs, allowing students to earn two bachelors degrees in five years. For each of them, it is important to begin planning in the first year.

The Nexus in Engineering program is also offered, preparing science or math majors for future graduate work in engineering or employment in engineering-related fields.

For more information about the dual-degree engineering programs, contact Maria Gomez (chemistry), Martha Hoopes (biological sciences), Audrey Lee St. John (computer science), Alexi Arango (physics), or visit the programs' website.

Thayer School of Engineering at Dartmouth College

Students who choose the Dartmouth program spend their junior year at Dartmouth College taking engineering courses. They return to Mount Holyoke for their senior year and earn their A.B. from Mount Holyoke. Following graduation, students spend an additional year at the Thayer School to be eligible to earn a bachelor’s of engineering (B.E.). Admission to the program is through both an internal Mount Holyoke application for the dual degree and a direct application to Thayer.

California Institute of Technology (Caltech)

Admission to Caltech is through its admission committee. Accepted students will spend their fourth and fifth years at Caltech and, after successful completion of that program, will receive both a bachelor of science degree from Caltech and the bachelor of arts from Mount Holyoke.

School of Engineering at UMass Amherst

This program allows a Mount Holyoke student to earn a second bachelor’s degree, in engineering, to be awarded by the University of Massachusetts, in the year following her graduation from Mount Holyoke. Students may major in chemical, civil and environmental, electrical, industrial, mechanical, or computer systems engineering.

Ordinarily, the student will spend her junior year at UMass, registered in the appropriate engineering courses through Five College cross-registration. After her fourth year at Mount Holyoke, she will attend UMass for her fifth year. The programs in computer and electrical engineering require three years at Mount Holyoke followed by two years at UMass. The program is administered by an advisory committee consisting of one member from each participating MHC science department, including mathematics/statistics, as well as a similar committee at UMass, consisting of one member from each participating  engineering department.

A student pursuing the dual-degree program must have an MHC advisor from the committee and a UMass advisor no later than the fall of her sophomore year. In consultation with her advisors, the student maps out a plan of study for her sophomore, junior, senior, and postsenior years. The plan must satisfy all graduation requirements at both schools and be approved by both advisors.

Latin American Studies Program, Five-Year Cooperative Degree Program, Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University

This five-year cooperative degree program offers exceptional undergraduate students at selected institutions the opportunity to complete the requirements of both the bachelor’s degree and the master of arts degree in Latin American Studies at Georgetown within a five-year period. Qualified students should declare their interest in the cooperative degree program during their junior year and apply by May 1 of their senior year. Applicants  should have demonstrated academic strength in Latin American content. For more information, contact Lowell Gudmundson at 413-538-2378. The contact person at Georgetown University is Julie Walsh, walshje@georgetown.edu.

The Second Bachelor’s Degree

Mount Holyoke welcomes students interested in earning a second bachelor’s degree. Candidates must submit an official college transcript with conferred degree verification, an autobiographical essay, a proposed plan of study, and two letters of recommendation.

Candidates for a second bachelor’s degree are not eligible for financial aid from Mount Holyoke College but may qualify for federal student loans.

Candidates seeking to earn a second bachelor’s degree must spend a minimum of four semesters at Mount Holyoke. They must earn a minimum of 64 Mount Holyoke academic credits (beyond their first undergraduate degree), and complete College and distribution requirements, as well as requirements of their declared major.

Applicants should contact the Office of Admission for details about the application process.

Applications are accepted throughout the academic year. Two entrance dates are available: September and late January, with a preferred deadline of March 1 for fall entrance and November 15 for spring.

Graduate Degree Programs

Master of Arts in Teaching

Mount Holyoke, through its Professional and Graduate Education division, offers three different programs issuing a Master of Arts in Teaching degree: the Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) program, the Master of Arts in Mathematics Teaching (M.A.M.T) program, and the Master of Arts in Teacher Leadership (M.A.T.L.) program.

The Committee on Graduate Work — consisting of the dean of studies and representatives from each program offering graduate work — approves thesis proposals and theses, adjudicates petitions for exceptions and waivers to the requirements, and reviews graduate requirements and procedures, forms, fees, and stipends. Each program has a graduate advisor, appointed by the department.

Certificate and Licensure Programs

Teacher Licensure Programs

The teacher licensure programs at Mount Holyoke enable students to apply for a Massachusetts (and NASDTEC Interstate Contract) “initial” license. Undergraduate students may pursue licensure in the areas listed in Psychology and Education. For additional information about undergraduate Mount Holyoke College Teacher Licensure Programs, please see the Teacher Licensure Programs page within Psychology and Education.

The Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) allows graduate students to pursue initial teacher licensure as part of the program. Graduate students who wish to independently pursue additional license types can gain preparation through add-on licensure coursework. More information on the M.A.T. and special education are found in the Professional and Graduate Education chapter.

International Guest Student Program

International students who wish to study in the United States for a period of one semester or one year may apply as an International Guest Student. Attending Mount Holyoke as a non-degree-seeking student provides an excellent opportunity to explore a particular field of study in depth, to explore a wide range of disciplines, and to become familiar with the United States and its educational system.

For more information, visit the Admission website.

Certificate for International Students

Exchange students and international guest students who are enrolled in nondegree programs may select courses that will enable them to qualify for the Certificate for International Students. The program requires a minimum of one year in residence and a cumulative average of 2.0 for 20 credits of work.

Students may earn a certificate in general studies or in a particular field, such as international relations or English. Students may choose a field from any of the majors or minors offered at the College and may want to consult with their academic advisor or with the dean of international students about their course selections.

Students choosing to earn a certificate in a specific field must complete at least 12 of 20 credits of graded course work in that field with satisfactory academic standing. Students who complete their program of study with a cumulative average of 3.5 or better receive the certificate with distinction. For more information about international student programs, contact the McCulloch Center for Global Initiatives at 413-538-2072.

The Postbaccalaureate Pre-Medical Program

The postbaccalaureate pre-medical program is not currently accepting new students. Existing postbaccalaureate pre-medical students are expected to spend two years in the program and tend to take, at a minimum, a full year of biology, a full year of physics, and two full years of chemistry. Many also may need to take courses in mathematics and statistics, advanced courses in biology and biochemistry, or other advanced science courses required for admission to a specific program. Postbaccalaureates who successfully complete a minimum of 32 credits will be awarded a Certificate of Achievement, and their academic work appears on a non-matriculated student transcript.

Nonmatriculated Students and Auditors

Qualified nonmatriculated students may register for undergraduate courses, with the approval of the registrar and the instructors of those courses. Nonmatriculated students are subject to the academic regulations governing undergraduate students. An official transcript of their course work is maintained. They participate fully in the courses they were approved to take and qualify for student privileges related to their course enrollment. However, they do not share all campus privileges. For example, they are not eligible for on-campus housing or for advising services.

A degree student at Mount Holyoke or at one of our partner institutions in the Five College Consortium may audit a Mount Holyoke course (outside of Mount Holyoke's PaGE program), if space is available and the student has the instructor's verbal permission to audit. The student and faculty member should agree on what level of participation is expected and allowed. In any case, no record will be kept of the audit and it will not appear on the student's transcript. Because no record will be kept, degree students don't need to complete any registration procedures for audits at Mount Holyoke. Students may not switch between audit and for-credit participation in a class after the usual deadline for Adding courses.

Qualifying employees of the College, their qualifying dependents, and Mount Holyoke retirees and emeriti are eligible to audit one course per semester. They must qualify by submitting an employee course registration form to the Human Resources Office. The form is available from the HR Office and requires the signature of the course instructor to confirm his/her approval of the audit and that space is available.

Mount Holyoke Alumnae and residents of South Hadley who have earned a high school diploma may be approved by the registrar to audit one or more courses at the College. They must submit a completed Application for Auditing to the Registrar's Office by the end of the second week of classes. Any course(s), other than those offered by Mount Holyoke Professional and Graduate Education, may be approved for audit but only if there is space available and the auditor has the instructor's signed permission.

Auditors may be assessed fees for beginning language courses, dance courses, physical education courses, and studio art courses. These fees are due at the time of registration. (See also the Tuition and Fees chapter.)

Auditing Privileges

  • There is no record kept of audited courses at Mount Holyoke, no grade given, and no credits earned. Auditors will not be counted in the official enrollment of the course.
  • Attendance is restricted to the meetings of the approved course. Auditors do not participate in other aspects of College life and do not qualify for other student privileges.
  • Permission to audit authorizes class observance only. Beyond that, the character of an auditor's participation in a course rest with the instructor(s) of the course. Instructors are not required to review or grade any work completed by auditors.

Auditing privileges may be denied or revoked at any time. The College reserves the right to limit the number of courses audited by any one person, to limit the total number of auditors on campus in a particular term, and to change this policy.