Graduate Tuition, Fees, and Financial Aid

Tuition and Fees for 2017-2018

Master of Arts in Teaching

Fee Amount
Graduate program tuition $24,500
Tuition per credit hour $681
Some courses may require fees for laboratory use, materials, etc.

Master of Arts in Teaching, Special Education

Fee Amount
Graduate program tuition $26,000
Tuition per credit hour $685
Some courses may require fees for laboratory use, materials, etc

Master of Arts in Teaching, Mathematics Teaching

Fee Amount
Graduate program tuition $24,500
Tuition per credit hour $766
Some courses may require fees for laboratory use, materials, etc

Master of Arts in Teaching, Teacher Leadership

Fee Amount
Graduate program tuition $24,500
Tuition per credit hour $766
Some courses may require fees for laboratory use, materials, etc

Non-degree Students

Fee Amount
Graduate course tuition per credit Based on program per-credit tuition ($680-766)
Undergraduate course tuition per credit (typically January and Summer terms) Science courses: $525, Non-science courses: $350
Some courses may require fees for laboratory use, materials, etc. Undergraduate course tuition subject to change after January 1, 2018.

Summer Mathematics Leadership Institute

Fee Amount
Non-credit tuition $1,000
For-credit (2 credits) tuition $1,500
Program tuition includes lunch Monday through Friday during the institute

Customized Onsite Professional Development and Workshops

Please contact the program director to discuss your needs if you’d like to set up customized professional development or workshops for your school or organization.

Additional Course Tuition

Students who elect additional courses beyond those required for their program will pay tuition on a per-credit basis.

Enrollment Deposit

To secure their place in the program, admitted applicants will pay a non-refundable $500 deposit that will be applied as a credit on their first bill.

Student Government Association (SGA) Fee

The Student Government Association (SGA) fee is required of all graduate students in campus-based programs, which includes students enrolled in the fall in the M.A.T. program. The SGA establishes the fee and determines the distribution of the funds. This fee supports campus-based events and organizations and the Five College buses. For 2017-2018 the SGA fee is $100.

Health Insurance

Massachusetts law requires that all students have adequate health insurance coverage. Mount Holyoke recommends the Student Health Insurance Plan offered through the College. In July, students are billed for health insurance for one calendar year with coverage beginning August 15. Domestic students may waive coverage with proof of comparable coverage in another plan prior to the start of fall classes (or spring classes for spring matriculants). Students waiving coverage must do so annually by the waiver deadline. All international students are required to carry the Mount Holyoke College Student Health Insurance Plan unless they are covered by an embassy plan. For 2017-2018 the annual cost for health insurance is $1,995.

Transcript Fee

Current students may order official transcripts through MyMountHolyoke. The $4 transcript fee will be charged to an active student’s account. A student must pay all past due balances on the account before transcripts will be issued. Former students must prepay the transcript fee.

Late Drop Fee

Applicants who need to withdraw from a January or Summer course should send an immediate email clearly stating the request to withdraw from a specific course and session date to If the email message is received before the first class meeting, the applicant will be eligible for a full refund minus the withdrawal fee.

January Courses

Applicants who withdraw from a winter/January course after December 1 but before the first class meeting will be assessed a $200 withdrawal fee.

Summer Courses

Applicants who withdraw from a summer/May-August course after April 1 but before the first class meeting will be assessed a $200 withdrawal fee.


The tuition is billed for the upcoming semester at the following times during the year based on enrollment. Additional monthly bills are issued for any changes based on actual enrollment after the add/drop period.

Fee Amount
For this semester: Bills will be sent by:
Summer session 1 and 2 June
Fall semester July
January term and spring semester December

Bill amounts are specific for each student, and depend on a student’s actual enrolled credits, their academic plan and progress, and the billing term. For specific details, students should consult with their Academic Advisors and Student Financial Services.

Students may view charges and credits on their student account by logging into MyMountHolyoke and choosing “Course Registration and Bill Payment" then "Student Account and Payment” from the Self-Service Menu. Students may authorize parents, guardians, or others for bill viewing and payment by creating an authorized user account in CASHNet. Authorized users may view students' account information by logging in to CASHNet.

Student account information will not be shared with anyone who is not authorized by the student per federal regulation. Students must authorize other sponsors to view the bill and to receive notification when the monthly bill is prepared.
Past due balances will incur a late fee of 1% each month on balances over $100.

No student may register for classes, or receive a degree, diploma, or transcript until the student’s bill is paid. In addition, on-campus charging privileges may be suspended for any student with significant past due charges. If you would like to arrange for payment other than on the regularly scheduled due dates, the College offers a semester payment plan and provides information on several types of educational loans. The College cannot make arrangements for payment other than those herein described.

Financial Aid

Mount Holyoke's Office of Student Financial Services works closely with students to ensure that they are aware of the different financing options available to best suit their individual needs.

Loans and Grants

There are a variety of federal and private types of financial aid available for graduate students including:

Tax Benefits for Education

There are a variety of Qualified Tuition programs that allow for tax-free college savings plans, including 529 plans, Coverdell Education Savings Accounts, and others.

Graduate students may also be eligible for education related tax credits, including the Lifelong Learning Tax Credit (up to $2,000 annually), qualified educational expense deductions, student loan interest deductions, and business deductions. 

Please see IRS Publication 970 “Tax Benefits for Education” for more information on all of the above tax benefits for education.

Employer Tuition Assistance

Students should also explore tuition benefits that may be offered by their employer.  Benefits may include tuition reimbursement, scholarships, or waivers. Employers may provide up to $5,250 in employer education assistance benefits for undergraduate or graduate courses tax-free each year, per section 127 of the Internal Revenue Code. You do not necessarily need to be seeking a degree to be eligible. Many employers will require that you stay at the organization for some time once you’ve completed the degree.

Private Scholarships

Professional organizations, community organizations, and fraternal organizations are all places to consider when looking for private scholarships. Additionally, there may be career-specific scholarships, or scholarships based on particular aspects of your life (for women, for veterans, for people living in certain counties, etc.).  

Mount Holyoke College Scholarships

Each graduate program at Mount Holyoke has program-specific scholarships. Please see each program’s catalog section or website for more details.

Loans and Grants


The federal TEACH Grant Program provides grants of up to $3,728 a year to full-time graduate students who are completing or plan to complete the course work needed to become teachers. (A graduate student may receive a total of two scheduled awards for a total of $7,456 provided they are in attendance full-time for two years.) There are a number of conditions and requirements that must be met in order to receive the TEACH grant.

Federal Direct Student Loan

Graduate students are eligible for the Federal Direct Student Loan (FDSL) for up to $20,500 for the academic year, provided they are enrolled in at least four credits per semester. The FDSL loan interest rate for the 2016-17 academic year is 5.31% and the loan is unsubsidized (interest accrues on the loan during periods of enrollment). Repayment begins six months after the student is no longer enrolled in at least four credits. Graduate students may borrow a maximum amount of $138,500 for their graduate/professional education. Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and complete entrance counseling and a promissory note in order to receive an FDSL.

Grad PLUS Loan

Grad PLUS loans are available for up to the cost of attendance minus any other awarded financial aid (including loans). The interest rate for the 2016-17 academic year is 6.31% and repayment begins two months after the last disbursement for the academic year. Graduate students must be enrolled in at least four credits to be eligible for federal loans. Students must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and a Grad PLUS application to be considered for a Grad PLUS loan.

MEFA Graduate Student Loan

Massachusetts Educational Financial Authority (MEFA) is a non-profit state agency that offers financing to U.S. citizens or permanent residents who are studying at least half time at accredited degree-granting non-profit colleges and universities. The MEFA Graduate Student Loan for the 2016-17 academic year has a fixed interest rate of 6.09% during the in-school period and 6.89% during repayment. The deferred repayment fixed interest rate is 6.29%.

Private Student Loans

Student Financial Services strongly suggests that all federal financing options be maximized prior to turning to non-federal financing alternatives. Federal loans offer repayment options based on income and have forbearance and deferral options during times of extreme economic hardship that other loan programs do not offer. Also, some federal loan programs offer loan reductions or forgiveness for public service and teaching in high need areas.

Students interested in private (alternative) student loans may find more information on Student Financial Services website.

Teacher Loan Forgiveness

The Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program is intended to encourage individuals to enter and continue in the teaching profession. Under this program, those who teach full-time for five complete and consecutive academic years in certain elementary and secondary schools and educational service agencies that serve low-income families, and meet other qualifications may be eligible for forgiveness of up to a combined total of $17,500 on their Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans and their Subsidized and Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loans. Those who have PLUS loans only are not eligible for this type of forgiveness. For more information, visit the Federal Student Aid website.

Private Loans and Aid for International Graduate Students

Many of the private lenders who lend to Mount Holyoke undergraduates will also lend to graduate students who have qualified co-signers who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents.

Refund Policies

Tuition Refund

Students who withdraw or take a leave of absence during the fall or spring semesters will be refunded per the schedule outlined below. The official withdrawal date for a student is determined by the PaGE program director. The PaGE office must receive written notice of the student’s intent to withdraw. Please see Withdrawal from the College in the Academic Regulations chapter for more information.

Students will be refunded 100 percent of their previously paid tuition, less the enrollment deposit for new students, if the PaGE office receives written notice of an official withdrawal or leave of absence before the first day of classes. If a student officially withdraws or takes a leave of absence on or after the first day of classes of a particular term or session of the fall or spring semester, refunds occur on the following schedule:

Fall and Spring Refund Schedule

Weeks Percentage
Weeks 1-3 75%
Weeks 4-6 50%
Weeks 7-9 25%

Summer Session Tuition Refund Schedule

Weeks Percentage
Weeks 1 75%
Weeks 2 50%
Weeks 3 25%

Summer courses are typically shorter than fall and spring courses. Students requesting refunds before the first day of the Summer session are entitled to a full refund, less the enrollment deposit paid.

January Tuition Refund

January session is typically only two weeks long. For this reason, refunds are not given to students who withdraw or take a leave of absence during the January session. Students requesting refunds before the first day of the January session are entitled to a full refund, less the enrollment deposit paid.

Refund of Scholarships

If a student receiving a scholarship drops or withdraws from a class, the amount of the scholarship applied towards the student bill will be proportional to the amount billed per the tuition refund schedule above.

Refund of Federal Student Loan

Federal aid refund policies are different than institutional refund policies. For students receiving federal loans for the fall or spring, “earned” loan funds are prorated based on the time enrolled (percent earned vs. unearned). Grad PLUS loans are returned before the Federal Direct Student Loan when loan funds must be returned.

Refund of Fees

There is no refund of the Student Government Association fee if a student withdraws on or after the first day of classes. During the fall and spring semesters, no per-credit tuition adjustments will be made for classes dropped after the fifteenth day of classes unless the student takes a leave of absence or withdraws from the College at which point the above refund schedule will apply. If there are any credits on a withdrawn student's account after charges are adjusted, refunds will be sent to the student within 30 days of notification of change in status.