PaGE Academic Policies

Academic Standards

The academic requirements for graduate students include timely completion of all College, graduate program, and individual academic program requirements.

Students are expected to enroll in the courses per their approved program of study and submit any proposed changes to their program plan to their advisors, in advance, for approval.

Students are expected to be enrolled in all terms required by their degree program. The only exception to this requirement occurs when the student is granted an official leave of absence by the Professional and Graduate Education Executive Director, with the concurrence of the director of their program.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Students in the graduate programs are required to obtain a B or better in all coursework. Any grades lower than a B- are not acceptable and can not be used towards the completion of a degree. In instances where a student has not met this requirement, the student must meet with the program director/advisor who, in consultation with the Executive Director of Professional and Graduate Education, will determine if the student can proceed in the program.

Incomplete grades are awarded at the discretion of the instructor in concurrence with the Executive Director of PaGE. Incompletes that remain unchanged after the end of the authorized extension are converted to F grades.

To maintain full eligibility for federal student aid funds, satisfactory academic progress must be maintained. Graduate students who fail to complete the total number of credits attempted, whose cumulative GPA falls below 3.00 or whose years of enrollment in the program exceed the statute of limitations for the academic program will lose eligibility to receive any future federal student aid funds at Mount Holyoke. Student Financial Services will notify the student of the loss of federal eligibility and the appeal process available to request aid eligibility be reinstated.

Statute of Limitations

For students who start an 11-month graduate degree program, requirements must be completed within a three-year period from the semester of admission. For students who start a two-year graduate degree program, requirements must be completed within a four-year period from the semester of admission.

Grading Policies

The grades of A and B (with “+” and “-”) are acceptable for graduate credit.  Anything lower than a B- is not acceptable toward the degree.  

Grade = Points
A = 4.00
A- = 3.67
B+ = 3.33
B = 3.00
B- = 2.67
C+ = 2.33
C = 2.00
C- = 1.67
D+ = 1.33
D = 1.00
D- = 0.67
F = 0

Incompletes and Extensions

Incompletes and extensions are to be used to address unanticipated emergencies only.  During the semester, course instructors have full discretion with regard to the granting of extensions when students need extra time to complete assignments or examinations. Prior to the last class in a given semester, however, students who need any further extension must consult with their instructor. In order to be eligible for an extension to complete course work beyond the end of the semester, a student must experience a medical or personal emergency that could not have been anticipated that prevents him/her from completing the final work in a course.

Per College policy, faculty are not allowed to accept work after the noon deadline on the last day of the examination period unless a student has an authorized extension.  Students are strongly advised to plan ahead as much as possible and request an authorized extension.

How to apply for an extension/incomplete:

  1. Student formally requests an extension prior to the last class for the given semester.
  2. The formal request details the process fully and will be sent to the Executive Director for review.
  3. The Executive Director will consult with the course instructor when determining whether to grant/deny the extension/incomplete.
  4. The student and instructor will be informed of the final decision.
  5. If an extension is approved, the student and the instructor will finalize an agreed upon date for completion of all work.
  6. All of a student's outstanding work must be completed in compliance within the agreed upon timeline for the student to continue with the academic plan.

Transfer of Graduate Course Work

The College will accept transfer of up to two graduate courses, after a review has determined that the courses meet the content requirements of the particular program. However, all students completing the degree must still complete the full number of degree credits for their specific program by selecting among the alternative electives available through Mount Holyoke’s Professional and Graduate Education programs.

Course Eligibility Requirements

Grades received for courses requested for transfer must be "B" (3.00) or better. Graduate level courses to be transferred must have been taken no more than three years prior to the student's acceptance into the Master's program and may not have been used previously to fulfill the requirements for any other degree, certificate or diploma program. An official transcript and syllabus of the course(s) to be transferred are required.

No more than two courses, a maximum of eight (8) graduate credits, may be transferred. Eligible courses may be from any one of the following sources:

  • Course(s) taken at another regionally accredited college/university within the United States,
  • Course(s) taken while enrolled as a non-degree graduate student,
  • Course(s) offered through Mount Holyoke’s Professional and Graduate Education programs.

The MAT program will recognize courses taken as an undergraduate student over and above the requirements necessary for the baccalaureate degree towards specific content areas, as appropriate towards licensure.

Accommodating Learning Differences

Students requiring accommodations should let their advisor know as soon as possible and will be required to register with the Office of AccessAbility Services.
Students who are registered with the Office of AccessAbility Services, and are seeking an incomplete as an accommodation based on a disability, should simultaneously make requests through AccessAbility Services and the Executive Director of Professional and Graduate Education.

Leaves and Withdrawals

Leaves of Absence

Mount Holyoke considers requests for leaves of absence from students who find it necessary to disrupt their program of study. A student should discuss a potential leave with his/her faculty advisor. Please note, when a leave is effective on the first day of classes or later, withdrawn courses may remain on the transcript with a "W" notation. Students need to be aware that a leave of absence may impact financial aid eligibility, loan repayment schedule, or length of program due to availability of courses during a given semester.

Leave process:

  1. Student provides a written request for leave to their advisor.
  2. Student and/or advisor (if needed) contacts mental health services/triage clinician.
  3. Student or advisor presents the plan to the appropriate program director.
  4. Advisor presents the plan to the Professional and Graduate Education Executive Director for final approval.
  5. If approved, the program director provides the final document to all relevant parties.

Course Drops/Withdrawal

The process:

  1. Student meets with advisor to request dropping course.
  2. Advisor discusses options so student understands that he/she will be responsible for paying for the course again (when retaken) and that a percentage of the current course charges will be charged per the schedule on the Student Financial Services website.  The drop/withdrawal date drives the percentage amount.
  3. Upon advisor approval, advisor/ student contact professor(s) to indicate the student's plan to drop/withdraw.
  4. Student completes required withdrawal form through the Registrar, gets professor signature, and submits to Registrar on the "prior to date" indicated on calendar.

Voluntary Withdrawal from College

Official notification must be given by the student in order to withdraw from the College.  A student may withdraw by logging into my.mtholyoke, selecting Requests & Applications from the Self-Service Menu, and then selecting "Withdraw from the College" to access the online form to complete and submit.  

If the effective date of the withdrawal is before the first day of classes, that semester's courses will be dropped from the student’s transcript. However if the effective date of the withdrawal is on or after the first day of classes, the student will be withdrawn from those courses and they will remain on the student's transcript with a grade of “W”.  Failure to complete the withdrawal procedures may result in failing grades.  

A student should contact Student Financial Services to determine how a withdrawal will affect the student's financial aid. A partial tuition refund may also be available.

Academic Integrity

Honor Code

Each member of the Mount Holyoke community is expected to adhere to the following honor code and all regulations in the Student Handbook:

“I will honor myself, my fellow students, and Mount Holyoke College by acting responsibly, honestly, and respectfully in both my words and deeds.”

The framework of our honor code assumes adherence to the rules and regulations of the College which are designed to promote intellectual and social pursuits and to ensure personal safety. In addition, the College protects and upholds human rights policies, and is committed to an inclusive and diverse community.

The honor code is the hallmark of life together at Mount Holyoke College. Simply stated, it means that each student is responsible for maintaining their own integrity and, to the best of their ability, the integrity of the Mount Holyoke community. While broad in its applications, it provides a guideline for decision making which holds each student to principles of good conduct toward themselves and others. To ensure the care and preservation of the honor code, standards and procedures have been developed and implemented to provide the structure by which the honor code is administered. Students are expected to comply with the rules and regulations of the College. Beyond minimal compliance, students under an honor code grow to understand, through course work and collaborative learning, that honor is achieved with diligence, commitment, and courage.

The Mount Holyoke College honor system relies on the integrity of each student. The strength of the system derives from the honesty and self-discipline of every student and from the faith of the faculty and the administration in the student body. With integrity as the foundation, the honor system promotes individual freedom tempered by responsibility to the community. Each student demonstrates their respect for individual freedom by conducting themselves with maturity and honor, and by showing due concern for the welfare of other members of the community.

College regulations delineate the expected standard of behavior in academic and social circumstances. Dishonorable academic conduct, such as plagiarism and cheating, discredits the individual student. Behavior which is in conflict with the  community standards and regulations of the College is detrimental to the well-being of the Mount Holyoke community.


Academic integrity is highly valued at Mount Holyoke College. Please refer to MHC information on plagiarism.

Plagiarism Discipline Policy and Procedure:

  1. First infringement (learning opportunity):
    1. Meet with the Professor and the Program Director and report to Professional and Graduate Programs Executive Director.
    2. Written warning in file (from Program Director) with decision about consequences within the following:
      1.  If minor infringement – partial grade – ability to still pass course
      2.  If minor infringement – then option to redo the assignment with possible passing grade
      3.  If major infringement – then no credit/failure for the assignment
  2.  Second infringement 
    1. Meet with the Professor, Program Director and report to Professional and Graduate Programs Executive Director with written warning indicating a third infringement would require leaving the program and with decision about consequences within the following:
      1. No credit/failure for the course
      2.  If a course for licensure – must be repeated at own cost
      3. Will need to complete another course to fulfill their credit requirements for their program of study
  3. Third infringement: expulsion from the program and College

Equal and Fair Treatment

Mount Holyoke is committed to creating and maintaining a community in which all its members including students, faculty, staff and visitors can live and work together in an environment free from discrimination. Under federal and state laws, all students are protected from discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, disability, gender, (including sexual harassment), age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status. Any student who feels that they have been discriminated against based upon any one of these factors must contact the College’s Title IX Coordinator. These protections also include retaliation for filing complaints of discrimination. Concerns regarding course offerings, instructor and student attitudes should also be directed to the Title IX Coordinator.

The College's Title IX Coordinator shares oversight of the College’s compliance with Title IX with Human Resources, the Dean of Faculty Office, and Compliance and Risk Management. The Title IX Coordinator oversees the use of grievance procedures as it pertains to the resolution of complaints of violation of Title IX.  

The Title IX Coordinator can be contacted at: or 413-538-3569.

Students are responsible for adhering to the policies of the College regarding equal and fair treatment.